- Insalata Panzanella
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 6 cups French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 small loaf)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsps capers, drained
- 1 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsps champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add more oil as needed.
Whisk all the ingredients together.
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette.
Season liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Serve or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.