French Tarragon Potato Salad
- 1 lb small white boiling potatoes
- 1 lb small red boiling potatoes
- 2 tbsps good dry white wine
- 2 tbsps chicken stock (or veg)
- 3 tbsps Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tbsps good olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
- 2 tbsps minced fresh Tarragon
- 2 tbsps minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted niçoise olives
Put white and red potatoes into a large pot of salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow all the liquids to absorb.
Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, tarragon, parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.