Chicken Tagine with Fennel, Apricots and Almonds
- 2 tbsps ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsps ground, toasted cumin seed
- 2 tbsps ground, toasted coriander seed
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup peeled almonds
- 4 tbsps crushed garlic
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 cups onion, cut in 1 inch dice
- 2 cups fennel, cut in ¼ inch strips
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut in ¼ inch strips
- 3/4 cup verjus
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1 cup fresh mint, torn
1) Toast, grind and mix the first 3 spices.
2) Heat the oil in a heavy sauce pan and lightly brown the seasoned chicken thighs.
3) Remove the meat and lightly brown the almonds over moderate heat. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook slowly while stirring until the garlic becomes ivory colored.
4) Add the vegetables, dried apricots and toasted spices, and cook over moderate heat until translucent. Add ½ cup verjus and reduce until dry.
5) Add enough chicken stock to allow the tagine to move freely but not swim. Bring to a simmer and add remaining spices and verjus. Adjust the seasonings and simmer partially covered until tender, about 30 minutes for boneless, 45 minutes for bone in chicken. Reduce juices to concentrate if needed.
6) Add the torn mint and stir. Adjust seasoning and serve over couscous.