Bruschetta with White Beans, Tomatoes, and Olives
- 1 cup dried Great Northern beans
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 French-bread baguette, cut into -inch-thick rounds
- 6 ozs soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), room temperature
Place beans in large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 1 hour.
Drain beans; return to pan. Add enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
Transfer 1 1/2 cups beans to medium bowl (reserve remaining beans for another use). Mix in tomatoes, olives, 4 tablespoons oil, basil and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Place bread on baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Broil until golden, about 1 minute. Spread with cheese. Top with bean mixture.