Black Radish Winter Rigatoni with Smoked Mozzarella
- 1 lb fresh rigatoni pasta
- Sea salt
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, cubed (about 1 squash)
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 lb spicy Italian pork sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced in half
- 1 large bunch Swiss Chard, ribs removed, leaves chopped
- 1 jar Organic Pasta Sauce (plus more if needed)
- 2 cups smoked mozzarella, shredded
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a large pot of water to boil. Add salt until it tastes like the sea. Boil rigatoni according to package directions (about 2 minutes) until al dente, drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, toss butternut squash in olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread in a single layer on cookie sheet and put in the oven to roast until fork-tender and golden brown. Cool.
While squash roasts, fry sausage, garlic, onions & mushrooms together. Add bell pepper and fry until crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, toss pasta with sausage & vegetable mixture. Toss in black olives and swiss chard until combined. Stir in pasta sauce – adding more sauce if pasta seems dry. Gently fold in butternut squash cubes, careful not to break up squash.
Pour into a sprayed 9x13 inch casserole dish. Spread mozzarella cheese over the top, and bake until golden and heated through – about 25 minutes.